Job Database Home » Career Services » Job Database
Directions For Using our Job Database
Search job postings and find employers who want to speak with Spartans. Register and log in as a MSUAA member or student to MySpartanCareer.
My Spartan Career is the only job database that the MSUAA Alumni Career Services uses to post jobs and it is shared with the MSU Career Services Network. Therefore, you will see that the verbiage on the website is mostly directed at students. Don't let that scare you though! Because it is a shared system, it makes it much easier for employers to post jobs that are targeted specifically to alumni, and they really do appreciate the convenience of it!
If you are an employer who wants to post a job, please find the "Employer Help Guide" on www.MySpartanCareer.com for instructions on how to register and use the system. If you are a job-seeker, please continue reading below.
Instructions for how alumni can register to use MySpartanCareer (MSC)
- Become a member of the MSUAA and receive your welcome packet. New memberships take about three weeks to process. For questions about membership please email email@example.com. Register to use www.alumni.msu.edu (For help using this page please email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Log in to www.alumni.msu.edu
- Go to the "job database" home page
- Click on "Register Here or "View Your Account"
- A screen will pop up, click on the button that says "Create Your Account"
- You will see a page that says "you have successfully registered."
- Check the email account that you used to register for the system. You will be sent an email with your password. Your username is the full email address you used to create the account.
- Go to: http://careernetwork.msu.edu/ and enter your username and password.
- Go to the "Academic" tab to complete your profile. To upload your resume, click on the "Documents" tab and follow the instructions.
- Go to the "Profile tab," then password/preferences to change your password to something you can remember.
- For all subsequent visits (after initial registration), go directly to http://careernetwork.msu.edu/ then enter the username and password that you chose when you registered.
- For questions about MySpartanCareer.com please contact email@example.com for help.
All of the above will get you started on using the system. Below are some "advanced" features that will help you to use this system more efficiently:
- Click "View Postings" button.
- Click "Advanced Search" tab, check the box and name your search agent, enter criteria ,and submit. Click "save as."
- Click "Search Agents" tab, you will see the search you just created, click "Schedule."
- Set the frequency and submit, you will receive alerts in your email at the frequency that you selected when you scheduled the search agent.
- Access the NACElink "Extended Job Search" by clicking NACELink Network under the Jobs tab from your MySpartanCareer home page.
- Enter initial search criteria, click on the Search Nacelink Network button to bring you into the Extended Job Search page.
- In the center you will be on the Job Central job listings. On the left will be additional filter/screening criteria. On the right of the page, you will find Additional Resources; SimplyHired.com, Google.com, and Indeed. Notice that these Additional Resources, have also screened jobs to match the job search criteria you entered in the NACElink system. To view those positions click on the jobs matching link and those positions will list on the center of the page.
- You can create job searches, email alerts, and RSS feeds for positions within each of the Additional Resources by going to indeed.com, SimplyHired.com, JobCentral.com and Google.com, from the web.
- Click on the "Advanced Search" link from that page, create searches, alerts, and RSS feeds within each of these search engines. Click "RSS" then "subscribe." This works for IE and Firefox.(Alternatively, click on email alert instead of RSS.)
- Click Saved bookmark and refresh to see new job listings. Other suggestions that you might try
Other Suggestions That You Might Try
- Consider adding a Google Reader or iGoogle Account to your email alerts.
- Record your search tips with screen capture software.
- Highlight search techniques with one-on-one or group demos.
- Set you own search agent to create reports and reminders.
Frequently Asked Questions about MSC
Why is all the verbiage in the system for students instead of alumni?
My Spartan Career is the only job database that the MSUAA Alumni Career Services uses to post jobs and it is shared with the MSU Career Services Network. Therefore, you will see that the verbiage on the website is mostly directed at students. Don't let that scare you though! Using our shared system, employers can more easily post jobs targeted specifically for MSU alumni and well as for students. They appreciate the convenience of it.
Why do I have to fill out all of that profile information and who can see my information?
The profile you set up on MySpartanCareer is not viewable by employers. It simply acts as a screening tool for you to be able to only view jobs you qualify for (based on your profile and how postings are entered) instead of sifting through every job that has been posted. You can also view all jobs that have been posted. Many employers list a website when they post their job. You are highly encouraged to view their website for other postings that may be relevant to you.
What happens when I upload my resume to my profile?
The only "resume book" we have in the system is for alumni (no student resumes are in it), and the only employers who can view this require our permission. We do not allow third party recruiters to have access to this resume book, and employers who have permission must have a history of posting with us. Additionally, there are some employers who choose to create their own resume books for applicants to apply directly in the system. You will not be able to view (or apply for) these if you do not have your resume posted to your profile.
Why do you not have a job database that is just for alumni?
Since we moved to a shared system, we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of employers who come to MSU seeking more experienced alumni! (Most employers only think of students and recent grads when they come to a university to recruit and we are working to change that.) We typically see an average of about 100 postings that are directed specifically to alumni each month.
You talk all the time about how ineffective it is to use job databases, so why do you even have one?
It is true that the least effective way to find a job is to simply apply online. However, access to a job database lets you know who is out there. Instead of viewing a database as a way to find a job posting and apply, use it for research to identify companies that you might want to work for. Then start the process of building a relationship with that company so the next time they are thinking about hiring someone, you are a trusted "insider" instead of just another face in the crowd who is on the "outside" of their business.
Should I join the MSUAA to get access to the job database?
If that is the only reason you are joining, you may want to rethink that. This is a service that we offer as a courtesy for members and a convenience for employers. However, general advice is to never pay for access to ANY job database (or to anyone who promises to be able to get you a job). The internet is full of job databases, and with the advent of free social networking platforms (such as LinkedIn.com) they are quickly becoming obsolete. See our Resources Page for other job databases you can try out.