Skip navigation

Spartan Pathways - Passport/Visa Information Home » Travel » Tips » Passport/Visa Information

For information on obtaining or renewing a passports/visas or to download passport/visa forms go to

Passports (U.S.)

If you have never applied for a passport you must apply in person. This may be done at a passport office, county clerk's office or at some post offices. When you apply for a new passport, you are required to have in your possession:

  1. The Application for Passport Form DS-11 (download at
  2. Proof of U.S. citizenship in the form of birth certificate or naturalization papers.
  3. A passport fee of $97 applies for first-time applicants aged 16 years and over. For those applicants aged 15 years and under, the first-time passport fee is $82. The passport application fee includes a $12 security surcharge.
  4. Two identical photos 2' x 2' in size, taken within the last six months on passport quality paper with a light background.

If your passport has expired and it has been issued within the last 15 years, you may reapply by mail. To do so, you will need to complete Form DS-82 (a pink form available at your nearest passport office or county clerk's office). When completed, send it via certified mail to the nearest passport agency, enclosing your expired passport, two identical 2' x 2' in size, taken within the last six months and a check for the $55 renewal fee.

If your passport has expired, and it had been issued over 15 years ago or you were under 16 years of age when it was issued, you must reapply in person. The procedure for doing so is identical to that for those who have never applied for a passport, except you may use your expired passport as proof of U.S. citizenship.M

Since U.S. passport applications may take up to 90 days to process, you should apply as soon as possible and well in advance of your trip departure.

NOTE: It is recommended that your passport be valid for three (3) or six (6) months beyond your planned return date, depending on the visa requirements for the country (ies) visited on your trip.

For more information on how to apply for a passport visit the U.S. State Department web site at

* Information provided by Alumni Holidays International


Persons traveling on official business for the U.S. Government should obtain visa information from the agency sponsoring their travel (travel company). For purposes of this publication, a visa is an endorsement or stamp placed by officials of a foreign country on an U.S. passport that allows the bearer to visit that foreign country.

If traveling on your own without the help of a travel company:

If a visa is required, obtain it from the appropriate foreign consular representative before proceeding abroad. Allow sufficient time for processing your visa application, especially if you are applying by mail. Most foreign consular representatives are located in principal cities, and in many instances, a traveler may be required to obtain visas from the consular office in the area of his/her residence. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE TRAVELER TO OBTAIN VISAS, WHERE REQUIRED, FROM THE APPROPRIATE EMBASSY OR NEAREST CONSULATE OF THE COUNTRY YOU ARE PLANNING TO VISIT. As soon as you receive your visa, check it to make sure no mistakes were made. Processing and visa fees vary, and most fees may not be refundable, consult the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit for specific details.

For more information on how to apply for a visa visit the U.S. State Department web site at

Information provided by U.S State Department.

Twitter Facebook Search