Spartan Social Justice Movie Club
The Spartan Social Justice Movie Club encourages alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends to virtually connect with each other and discuss movies that matter related to social justice, history and societal issues. Participation in the online forum is free and all movie selections are available to stream on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime Video or may be available to borrow from your local library. The movie club discusses a new film every month. You can join at any time and do not have to participate in every viewing session.
How It Works
There are no meetings of the Spartan Social Justice Movie Club — you can participate at your convenience and from anywhere you have internet access.
- The movie club is entirely online and connects through a private forum moderated by PBC Guru.
- All discussions and networking take place in the forum.
- The moderator poses questions to the group, shares relevant articles and facilitates conversation on related topics. Generally, you’ll receive a weekly email from the moderator throughout the viewing period.
- Members are encouraged to post in the forum and share as well.
- Participation in the online forum is free and all movie selections are available to stream on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime Video. Depending on your subscription service, the movie may have a small rental cost. The movie may also be available to borrow from your local library.
- There is a new movie every month selected by PBC Guru.
- You do not have to participate in every viewing session and your level of participation in the discussion is entirely up to you.
Even if you’ve already seen the featured movie, you’re still encouraged to participate by contributing to the conversation — one of the most valuable aspects of the movie club is the opportunity for discussion with the Spartan community on important topics.
Benefits of Participation
- Connect with fellow Spartans. The Spartan Social Justice Movie Club introduces you to MSU alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends from various backgrounds, geographies, generations and professions. Meet new people and gain different perspectives while watching and discussing the movie.
- Embrace lifelong learning and watch movies that matter. The Spartan Social Justice Movie Club exposes you to impactful and important movies. The group watches a variety of movies ranging from independent films, to documentaries and larger studio productions. Through the film discussions, club members gain fresh insights and learn from one another.
- Experience the power of film. Movies allow us to experience different cultures, narratives and ways of life which can enhance our own lives. Films can also help us learn, drive social change and help us process difficult life lessons. 
2021 Viewing Schedule
- June 1-30: "Fruitvale Station"
- July 1-31: "I Am Not Your Negro"
- Aug. 1-31: "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
- Sept 1-30: "Roma"
About Our Current Movie Selection
“Roma” follows a year in the life of Cleo, a live-in housekeeper for a middle-class family in Mexico City. The film is a semi-biographical take on Alfonso Cuarón's upbringing and emphasizes powerful storytelling and historical reimagining as viewers are transported back to Mexico City in 1970.
“Cuarón's artistry yields a film with the pinpoint authenticity of a docudrama, but also the intoxicating and lyrical poetry of memories as filtered through a perfect dream.” (Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun Times)
“Roma” was written and directed by Alfonso Cuarón. It stars Yalitza Aparicio and Marina de Tavira. "Roma" received a number of accolades, with ten nominations at the 91st Academy Awards, among them Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. It became the first Mexican entry to win Best Foreign Language Film, and also won for Best Cinematography and Best Director. It also won Best Director and Best Foreign Language Film at the 76th Golden Globe Awards, and Best Picture and Best Director at the 24th Critics' Choice Awards.
Spartan Social Justice Movie Club Online Forum Tips
For members that are newer to the online forum, check out the Tips and Tricks to Help With Navigating This Forum for assistance navigating and interacting in the forum.
Are You a Spartan in the Film Industry
We’d like to hear from you. We're compiling a list of Spartans in the film industry to share with the Spartan nation. Writer, director, producer, costumer, special effects, actor, etc.? We intend to have our first edition of this list available at the end of 2021 on this webpage and in the online forum, and we’ll regularly update it thereafter. To share your information, email Elizabeth Wheeler.
In fairness to all Spartans in the film industry, please understand that we currently do not plan to feature any Spartan films as a movie club selection.
You May Also Be Interested In
The Spartan Book Club encourages alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends to virtually connect with each other to read and discuss books on a range of topics. If you’ve enjoyed participating in the movie club, consider joining the book club. A new book will be chosen approximately every two months. Our current book is "Hidden Valley Road."