Membership FAQ Home » Membership » FAQ
On July 1, 2016, membership in the MSU Alumni Association (MSUAA) will no longer be fee-based, signaling a new model that welcomes each and every Spartan. As part of this transition, the university is also acknowledging alumni and friends who contribute at least $100 annually between July 1 and June 30. In appreciation of this investment, MSU will consider all of these donors as Spartan Loyal and they will receive enhanced services and recognition.
Why are these changes being made?
The changes are being made for many reasons, including:
- The current model largely limits the MSU Alumni Association's interaction to its members, rather than all alumni and friends of the institution. The new model will provide a basic level of services and recognition to all degreed alumni and university donors, allowing MSUAA to engage more Spartans.
- Currently, a lot of confusion exists regarding the difference between MSUAA membership and making an annual gift to the university. This change streamlines MSU's giving programs and will allow people to focus their financial commitment in an area that interests them.
- Many membership-based organizations, including the MSUAA, have struggled to maintain their membership numbers as they rely more on the millennial generation, which tends to support causes rather than joining organizations. Given this societal shift, the MSUAA did not feel that its membership model was sustainable for the long term.
When will the changes take effect?
The transition takes effect on July 1, 2016. Important dates related to the transition include:
- May 1, 2015: MSUAA stopped selling memberships
- July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016: Donations of $100 or more count toward a new annual giving recognition level known as Spartan Loyal, with services and recognition being provided the following fiscal year
- Early July 2016: Fiscal year 2017 (July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017) Spartan Loyal donors notified of their status and begin receiving services and recognition
How will I be affected under the new model?
All alumni will receive the MSU Alumni Magazine in a digital format, 12 issues of the @MSU e-newsletter, invitations to participate in Alumni Association LENS and travel programs, and offers from our corporate partners. In addition, those who make annual gifts of $100 or more will also receive print copies of the MSU Alumni Magazine sent quarterly, and advance notice for select MSU events.
I am an MSUAA life member. What do I need to know?
The MSUAA is committed to ensuring that the financial contributions of life members to the association are respected and celebrated moving forward. All life members will be considered permanent Spartan Loyal donors.
If I am not an alumnus of MSU, is it still possible for me to be Spartan Loyal?
Yes, friends of the university are also welcome to support MSU and receive the Spartan Loyal designation and all of the associated services and recognition.
Which MSU gifts will be counted toward the Spartan Loyal designation?
Any gift made directly to Michigan State University will count toward Spartan Loyal, including seat premiums and Spartan Fund donations made to Intercollegiate Athletics and gifts made to MSU-held scholarship endowments. Gifts to MSU-affiliated groups that are not part of the university, such as the
Downtown Coaches Club or Blue Line Club, will not count toward Spartan Loyal totals.
How can I make a Spartan Loyal gift?
Gifts can be made in a number of ways including:
- Making a gift online at givingto.msu.edu
- Responding to an appeal sent to you in the mail
- Answering the phone and making a gift when our students call
- Supporting a CrowdPower project at givingto.msu.edu/crowdpower
- Contacting the development officer for the college or program you're interested in, listed at givingto.msu.edu
Is it still possible for me to support the MSUAA financially?
Yes, you may designate your annual gifts directly to the MSUAA using the allocation MSU Alumni Association Endowment Fund (code AB131) on MSU donation forms or online at givingto.msu.edu.
Who should I contact with questions regarding these changes?
Please direct questions to the MSU Alumni Association by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 877-MSU-ALUM.