Alumni Grand Awards
Spartans strive to address the world’s most pressing problems each and every day. The Alumni Grand Awards program recognizes the best of the best — those alumni who are doing wonderful things and making an impact daily in their companies, communities and for Michigan State University.
Grand Awards Gala
Due to the ongoing pandemic, the 2020 Grand Awards Gala was canceled. The impressive slate of recipients who had been scheduled to be honored will instead receive their awards at the 2021 Grand Awards Gala Friday, Nov. 12 at the Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center. The black-tie optional event includes a reception with a hosted bar, decadent meal and the opportunity to mix and mingle with recipients.
Can't Make the Gala?
The Alumni Grand Awards program will be livestreamed Nov. 12 beginning at 7 p.m. No advanced registration is required to view the livestream.
The MSU Alumni Office annually recognizes Spartans who positively reflect and enhance the prestige of Michigan State University in five categories. Nominations are due each year by September 1 for selection the following year.
Due to the cancellation of the 2020 Grand Awards Gala, nominations received between August 2020 and September 1, 2021 will be considered for the 2022 Alumni Grand Awards.
- Alumni Service Award
- Presented to Michigan State University alumni who have demonstrated service to MSU and/or meritorious public service on a local, state, national or international level.
- Distinguished Alumni Award
- Presented to alumni who have differentiated themselves by obtaining the highest level of professional accomplishment in their field.
- Honorary Alumni Award
- Presented to non-alumni candidates who have made an outstanding impact on behalf of Michigan State University on a local, state, national or international level.
- Philanthropist Award
- Presented to individuals, families, associations, corporations or foundations with a proven record of providing major, ongoing financial support and leadership to Michigan State University. Their generosity encourages others to take leadership roles in philanthropy toward MSU.
- Young Alumni Award
- Given to Spartans age 40 or younger who have distinguished themselves through a high level of professional accomplishment early in their career. These individuals demonstrate a commitment to Michigan State University through outstanding continuous volunteer service on behalf of the university, and/or participation and leadership in meritorious public service on a local, state, national or international level.
Individuals, university departments and alumni clubs may submit online nominations for consideration.
A maximum of five pages of supporting documentation will be considered for each nominee. The nominations receiving the strongest consideration by the selection committee will include the following:
- Specific examples of how the nominee has demonstrated the characteristics outlined in the award category.
- For Distinguished Alumni Award candidates, specific examples of how the nominee has been engaged in improving the community, the state, the nation and/or the world.
- Specific examples of how the nominee has been engaged in support of Michigan State University, or engaged others in support of MSU.
- Any additional information you feel is relevant to the assessment of the individual.
- Nominations are due each year by September 1 for selection the following year.