Registration and Scholarships
Grandparents University Registration Details
Registration and class selection is handled in two steps.
Note that the below dates are tentative.
- Step 1: Registration opens April 4, 2023 at 10 a.m. ET.
- Step 2: Class and evening activities selection begins April 6, 2023 at 10 a.m. ET. Review the class catalog in advance of this date. (Class catalog will be available in mid-February.)
Both Step 1 and 2 are conducted online only.
When Step 1 registration opens, we will be collecting pertinent information for each child and adult registrant. We strongly encourage you to review this information in advance so you’re prepared when registration opens and do not experience any delays.
If you experience any issues when undertaking either Step 1 or 2, contact the Grandparents University Administrator via email. This will permit us to follow-up to you in a timely manner and we assure you that this is the quickest way we can address the situation. No phone calls, please.
- We are utilizing a new registration site this year, so everyone will need a new registration login/username and password. The password requirements are:
- Must be at least eight characters long.
- Must have at least one special character.
- Must have at least one lowercase.
- Must have at least one uppercase.
- Must have at least one digit.
- Make sure you whitelist the Grandparents University email - email@example.com. This will ensure that you receive our emails, particularly if you need to reset your password.
- Do not use the “back” button in your web browser because this will result in an error and you’ll have to sign back into your account before you can proceed.
Information required for both children and adult in Step 1 registration:
- Address, City, State, Zip Code
- Email (for children, this should be the email of their Parent/Guardian)
- Phone Number
- Parent/Guardian Name (children only)
- Shirt Size (both youth and adult sizes are available)
- Special Dietary/Housing/Transportation Needs
- Number of Years Attending (optional)
- Intended College Start Date (children only)
- Favorite MSU Memory (optional)
- Favorite MSU Tradition (optional)
- MSU Alumni ID number (optional, if you don’t remember your ID, the Grandparents University Administrator will look it up after you submit your registration)
This is an extremely popular program that frequently sells out in a matter of hours. Registrations are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. The MSU Alumni Office cannot "reserve" or "hold" a spot in advance of registration opening.
Classes and Evening Activities
The class catalog gives an overview of the class descriptions, class sizes and evening activities available.
In Step 2, participants:
- Choose classes
- Choose evening activities
*Hint* Pick your top 10 favorite classes in each session and choose your evening activities. Have them written on a sheet of paper including the class number. Keep this next to you during Step 2 registration as it will be helpful when choosing classes quickly.
Once you complete Step 2 on April 6, you will be directed to an online payment site to complete payment of the program fee. Failure to pay the fee may result in your classes and evening activities being allocated to other participants.
We can only accept credit card payments. All online transactions are handled through the university’s secure, PCI-compliant server. We cannot accept credit card information over the phone for this program.
Unfortunately, issues beyond our control arise occasionally and require a class to be canceled. In this instance, the Grandparents University administrator makes every effort to find an adequate replacement instructor or class. All classes are subject to change without notice. If there is a class cancellation, the GPU administrator will place you in a new class.
We strive to treat all participants fairly and equally and keep everyone safe while enjoying the program. After you have registered and selected your classes and evening activities, you will be required to:
- Complete a Medical Treatment Authorization form and a Child Participant Consent and Expectation form for each child registrant
- Complete an Adult Participant Consent and Expectation form for each adult registrant
These forms will be available during the registration process. Or, you may choose to log back into the registration site at a later time to complete and submit them. All forms must be completed and submitted online. Forms cannot be printed and mailed. All forms are due by April 15. Failure to submit these forms may result in dismissal from the program.
Grandparents University Cancellation Policy
If individuals need to cancel, a request for a full refund must be made in writing by April 15, 2023. We will be unable to issue any refunds after this date since we will have already incurred a majority of the costs for Grandparents University. As a self-funded program, we cannot use public university dollars and therefore refunds are not possible after the cancellation deadline.
As an alternative to cancelling a reservation, you may register an alternate participant. Substitutions are allowed if the substitute completes and signs all the necessary forms at least 30 days prior to the program, and provided that the substitute matches the age demographic of the person no longer attending (an adult for an adult or a child for a child).
Grandparents University Scholarships
We are pleased to be able to offer a limited number of scholarships for Michigan State Grandparents University due to the generosity of previous participants.
The scholarship application period for the 2023 program has closed. Scholarships cover the registration rates for one adult and one child, including:
- Four special Grandparents University classes and related materials
- Two nights lodging in Holmes or Akers Hall
- Unique evening programs
- Seven meals in MSU's award-winning dining services (Tuesday lunch through Thursday lunch)
- Campus transportation
- A lifetime of memories
Scholarships do not include travel expenses or other costs incurred by participants. Incomplete applications will be returned and may impact eligibility if not received prior to the deadline.
Donate to the GPU Scholarship Fund