Housing and Meals
Grandparents University Housing
All participants in Grandparents University experience college life by living and dining in Holmes and Akers residence halls. Registration includes two nights lodging and meals in MSU's award-winning dining services.
Holmes Hall is the largest residence hall on campus. The hall opened in 1965 and is named for John C. Holmes, a Detroit horticulturalist. Holmes Hall is home to Lyman Briggs College, a living-learning community.
Akers Hall opened in 1964 and is named for Forest H. Akers, an MSU student from the early 1900s. Forest Akers golf courses are also named for him.
The halls feature:
- Holmes Hall has modular furniture in a suite-style setting where one bathroom is shared by two adjoining rooms
- Akers Hall is known by Spartans for its completely unique, apartment-like living experience that features two-bedroom suites, a separate living/study area and a bathroom shared only by suite occupants.
- In-hall dining services located on the second floors.
- A fitness room, weight room and music practice room.
- Access to a Sparty’s Café Convenience Store on the first floor of Holmes Hall.
- Several lounge areas with wireless internet access and plenty of space for board and card games.
- High-speed wireless internet service available in residence hall rooms.
- Pillows, bed sheets, blankets and bath towels are provided by the hall.
The adult and child participant from each family will be in one residence hall room. If there are three participants in a family, they will all be housed in one residence hall room. Families with four to six participants will be assigned adjoining rooms. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times, so each room will have both an adult and child from one family.
Both Holmes and Akers Halls are barrier-free. To request housing accommodation, you'll do so when registering for the program. If there are any questions, we encourage prospective participants to contact Nikki Hawthorne via email prior to registering for the program.
Grandparents University Meals
Meals are included with your registration and all meals are served in Holmes and Akers dining halls. MSU Culinary Services operates the dining halls and is experienced with accommodating food allergies or other dietary requests. For additional information see our frequently asked questions.