Alumni Club Scholarships
More than 50,000 students attend Michigan State University annually with a portion of them coming from families with household incomes of less than $125,000. Family financial resources, paired with declining state support for higher education, make scholarships essential for many MSU students.
All admitted students are automatically considered for scholarships by the MSU Office of Admissions. In addition to those scholarships, MSU’s searchable database contains hundreds of scholarships awarded by individual colleges and departments based on academic level or major preference.
A meaningful gift an alumni club can offer to MSU students from their community is financial assistance. Many clubs have chosen to create expendable and/or endowed scholarships that are held by MSU.
- Expendable awards are distributed directly to students. Scholarships can only be granted when there is funding made available through donations. There is no minimum required amount to establish an MSU expendable scholarship.
- Endowed awards are invested, and awards are distributed using the investment income. This means that the award lives on in perpetuity and can grant scholarships forever. A minimum of $50,000 is required to establish an MSU endowed scholarship.
There are a number of benefits to MSU holding an alumni club’s scholarship(s):
- MSU manages gift handling, processing and recognition.
- Gifts to support scholarships receive credit for Michigan State University donor-recognition groups.
- Matching-gift credit can be obtained from donors’ employers.
- MSU administers the scholarship.
If your alumni club is interested in establishing a scholarship hosted by MSU, contact Jennifer Bertram, University Scholarships & Fellowships at email@example.com or (517) 432-7330.