From behind the scenes, in the huddle, on the stage and in hundreds of other places, Sparty sees Michigan State in a way that no one else does. Apply today to become part of a true legacy at MSU. Applications are being accepted through January 15, 2017 for the 2017-2018 mascot program.
Please attach the following when submitting your application for the Sparty Mascot Program:
- An essay (not to exceed 500 words) expressing why you wish to be selected to portray the Michigan State University mascot, Sparty, for the 2017-2018 academic year. You are encouraged to include past leadership positions and experiences you feel qualify you for this position.
- A copy of your 2017 Spring Semester class schedule (.JPG screen shot is fine).
- A report of your most recent semester's grades (D2L updates are sufficient).
- A copy of a health record or physical examination report (can be completed at Olin Health Center) no more than 12 months old.
- Proof of health insurance.
Selection Process Key Dates
- Application due date: Extended to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 22, 2017
- Informational meeting: Friday, January 20, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the Spartan Stadium Tower (3rd floor) to discuss what Sparty does and trying out to be Sparty
- Ride Along: Scheduled between January 21-28, 2017
After reviewing applications received, the Director of the Sparty Mascot Program will contact those who have been selected to advance in the process by email.
If selected, you will be eligible to participate in the following aspects of the Sparty Tryout:
- Fitness Interview: January 30, 2017 and February 1, 2017
- Group Interview: February 2-3, 2017
- Costume Try-Ons: February 6-7, 2017
- Tryouts: February 10-11, 2017
*Dates are subject to change.
For more information:
If you have questions about the selection process, please contact the Director of the Sparty Mascot Program, Clint Stevens, by email